Saturday, March 19, 2011

accidents happen.... it's how you fix them that matters

            So I need to give you a little background information to fully understand this story. A couple weeks ago Josh was getting ready in the bathroom and thought the it would be a good idea to prop his behind up on the counter so he could get a better look in the mirror and not have to keep his body in an awkward position. Needless to say this cracked the bathroom sink. When I came home and heard about the incident i couldn't help but laugh. As the days went by the crack got worse and worse, we were trying to think about what we were going to do so that we didn't have to spend a bunch of money and were slowly realizing that whenever we move out of this apartment we just won't be given back our security deposit, oh well. It's not like we had any plans for that money but it would have been nice to get it back. However, when I woke up this morning and saw how awful the sink looked I knew there had to be something done.
            After we returned home from our venture to Xavier University I jumped on the computer in hopes of finding a great deal and at first was very disappointed. I had measured the current sink and ran a Google search on "31 x 19 oval recessed bathroom sink," and found that prices varied from $97 to $300. I quickly resorted to another idea, Menard's, a store that just opened in Hamilton. Their jingle on their commercial states, "save big money at Menard's!" I thought, that's it, they are bound to have better prices than people on the internet, nope. They were just as, if not, more expensive than the other sinks I found. I then searched on Lowes website, figuring they would be pretty pricey but could not find the sink we needed. So I searched Home Depot and there it was for $64! In stock? Sure was, 2 in fact. Off to Home Depot we went, but before we did Josh removed the old sink so that we would know exactly what we needed for the job.
The old sink
our sink-less bathroom

             Fixing this ourselves was a slight risk but never once did Josh not know what he was doing, I guess he had a couple pretty great men in his life that he learned a thing or two from. Coming home from Home Depot our bill looked like this:
-31x19 vanity top    64.00
-11p wrench set      22.88
-plumbing tape          0.98
-sealant clear             5.97
-caulk gun #67D       4.97
        tax                    6.71
        total              105.51

The new sink

Sink is in place, now to reconnect the plumbing lines and fixtures

Ta-da!

Now, what makes this frugal? If you can do it yourself, go for it. You will cut out costs for installation and you won't have to schedule your day around waiting for someone to come fix the problem. Also, we were able to return a couple items. The wrenches ended up being the wrong size so he borrowed the right size wrench from a neighbor and the caulking gun was as good as new. 
Refund receipt:
-11p wrench set   - 22.88
-caulk gun #67D    - 4.97
     subtotal           - 27.85
     tax                    - 1.82
     total                - 29.67

So.....
Initially spent       105.51
Refund                 -29.67
Actually spent        75.84
and Josh's ego got an added boost of confidence.

In essence, accidents happen just be smart with how you fix them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment