This week Josh and I began to do a devotion together, every night. It is very interesting to hear the things each other thinks, to hear how one another interprets the Lord's word. Josh and I have an amazing relationship but one thing we have not shared with each other is a spiritual one. Like I had said before, both of us were brought up in loving, Christian homes. Where prayer was always said and where you learned to walk in righteous footsteps.
Josh and I met in college, where we were immersed in new situations. I experienced things I had not been taught how to handle and as a result I ended up not doing my best. Which happens. Every one falls, everyone learns how to handle things on their own through experience. When I met Josh I was extremely shy, broken and soft spoken. I let people walk all over me and just dealt with it. Instead of turning to the Lord for help, I turned away. I didn't understand how certain things could have happened in my life, I didn't understand how I could feel bad about myself but show everyone else that I was great. Josh showed me to not worry about anyone else, to just do you. We built a wonderful relationship on understanding, forgiveness, undoubting love and most of all a great friendship. We learned each other but did not involve learning each other spiritually. Occasionally we would pray, before meals. Whenever I felt completely lost I would utter a prayer before bed just to clear my conscience.
We began to experience things that we realized we could not control. We had tension in our relationship out of frustration within our own lives. As a couple, we turned to God. We decided to go all in but take the proper steps that are needed. We have been faithfully attending church and look forward to it every week. So back to what I had initially said. We decided to take another step this week, devotions. We started out looking for a Bible but didn't know where to start and felt more comfortable with a devotional book that has you focus on a certain verse, sparks some thought , gives you a daily challenge and ends with a related prayer. In this process anything goes. We have vowed that we are not judging each other on our thoughts or situations that the verse reminds us of. It has been an eye opening experience and has drawn us closer than ever.
"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
Colossians 3:13
No comments:
Post a Comment